Waterford Estate is situated in the picturesque Blaauwlippen Valley, in the world-renowned Stellenbosch region. The 120ha (300-acre) property is only half planted to vines and the wild land is rich with the fauna and flora of the Cape Floral Kingdom.
Waterford Estate is owned by the Ord Family and developed under the watchful eye of Kevin Arnold, Cellar Master and Managing Partner, since 1998. The Waterford Estate winery offers a relaxing setting where guests can sit and enjoy various tasting options. With the wine cellar built surrounding the courtyard, guests can observe the workings of the winery and get a true feel for the wine making process without disrupting the tranquility of their tasting.
Did you know?…
- Waterford Estate also offers two vineyard experiences, the Wine Drive Safari with the opportunity to taste the wines while learning about the terroir—you can even smell the soils and lick the rocks – and Porcupine Trail Walk with three routes at different level of intensity
- The winery was designed and made with bedrock and timber from the area, with a cooling fountain and an elegant tasting room complete with covered veranda area, set around the Cape-Mediterranean courtyard, away from the heat of the South African sun or a cozy retreat for cooler seasons
- There is a floating deck above the vineyards overlooking Table Mountain and the Atlantic Ocean where you can taste your glass of wine
- Memorable tasting experience at the Waterford Estate is the chocolate-and-wine pairing. This is the result of a collaboration between cellar master Kevin Arnold and celebrated chocolatier Richard von Geusau, who has crafted the cocoa treats specifically to complement, balance, and bring out the flavors of select Waterford offerings
- If you buy some bottles during a degustation – that you can also ask to make them delivered to your overseas home – that degustation will be offered by the Estate
- What is technology bringing to your business/work?
At the farm we were the first in South Africa to use Porcelain eggs to ferment our Grenache Noir and we also employ Concrete eggs and French Oak barrels 225, 300, 500 and Foudre. Our Tanks are suspended above the winery so the use of gravity is employed also.
- Which is the local dining place you would personally suggest?
Dining we would suggest many – however to choose one. Unequivocal quality / value / modest and exclusive – I would head to Eike by Bertus Basson